Friday 30 September 2011

The Grind

First things first.  Lose the centre stand and the side panel tags.  No problems... a quick hit with the grinder, and she'll come up a treat.  WRONG!  Try around 4 hours of grinding and hand filing - not all in one hit as is true to my form though.  15 mins here, 15 mins there, 5 mins before I jump into the car for work.

Ugh.  Hand filing is the pits. But comes up a treat. 

Next problem.  Welding new bits on.  I have access to a MIG and an ARC welder, but the owner, unfortunately can weld, but not good enough for the CB.  And me? Never welded in my life.  Does soldering speaker wires count?

A call to my friendly local crash repair/ frame straightener/ custom workshop, reveals somewhere between $440 and $800 should get me what I want done to the frame. 


The idea?  Satin black epoxy paint, a hoop welded to the subframe, tags for a rear fender and 'inner guard', and maybe a little stiffening here and there.  The rear end of the bike should end up looking like the CRD (Cafe Racer Dreams) bike below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment