Friday 30 September 2011

The Sodablaster

What to do with all the painted and or extremely grungy parts that I want to resurrect?  Blast them!  How? I don't have a sandblaster, and, mostly I think they are too harsh anyway, so, a quick google and youtube search, exposes me to Sodablasting.

You can make you own.  Its easy, and really cheap.  Mine cost me $12 all up with 4 boxes of ammunition (baking soda).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEGXwLUH24
And for a demonstration of its uber-ness -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd8yqFJkn6A

I built it and went through 4 boxes of ammo.  Result? You get covered in white soda, and it does a pretty dam good job cleaning up alloy parts that had scale and gunge on it. Fantastic.  I wanted to strip the paint off my fork lowers, the engine etc. The poor lil' sodablaster, couldn't touch it.  In fairness, it does actually work, just very slowly, and you would need about 20cubic meters of soda to finish the job.  Fantastic for cleaning up small parts etc.  Though, I'll stick to my wire brush and elbow grease.

Myth... 1/2 BUSTED!

No comments:

Post a Comment